Here at the Moorings, in Portmagee we love to meet new and old visitors each year.
This year we will see even more visitors as Star Wars fans from the movie Star Wars, The Force Awakens will be visiting our small little village on the Ring of Kerry in SW Ireland which is part of the Wild Atlantic Way.
As many of you will be traveling from afar, we decided to put a list of top tips for you, to ensure you gain the best experience possible on your travels.
- Make sure you pre book your boat trip to Skellig Michael and accommodation before you travel.
- Low season in Portmagee is January to May and October to December. High season is June to September.
- Weather is ALWAYS permitting in Ireland!! We would love to promise you sunny skies every day but in Ireland that is never possible. So please keep this in mind when you are visiting us, your boat trips to and around Skellig Michael will be strictly weather permitting.
- Why not pre-book a full or half day tour including lunch, a visit to the pre-production room in the Moorings and much more. Contact our reservations team for details: ENQUIRIES@MOORINGS.IE
- Skellig Michael is a UNESCO Heritage site and therefore needs to be treated as such. Like many historic landmarks we ask visitors when visiting the island to be mindful of the area and please don’t leave any litter or try to take rock souvenirs!
- Get the inside story from the locals. The Irish are known for being great story tellers and our experiences during the filming of the movie is no different. Come and have a pint in the Bridge Bar and chat with our staff who will be happy to fill you in on the shenanigans that went on during the filming with the cast and crew.
- Why not add an extra trip to your itinerary and visit the International Dark Sky Reserve. There are spectacular views and really makes you feel like you are in a real Star Wars movie.