Guided tours along the Skellig Coast driven by Locals…….
WHY CHOOSE US?
Fantastic opportunity to experience the best sites on the Skellig Ring along South Kerrys Wild Atlantic Way in the entertaining company of local Driver Guide Muiris Walsh.
- Your Local Guide
Spend quality time in the entertaining company of home grown South Kerry local, Muiris Walsh who wants to show you the best sites on and off the beaten track along the Skellig Ring. You will have plenty of your own stories to tell after your tour with Muiris.
- Beautiful Skellig Ring
The Skellig Ring has been listed in the Lonely Planet Guides 2017 top 10 drives in the world – with us you will be taken to the best sites on and off the beaten track where your local guide will bring the sites to lifeWhat by telling their unique stories.
- Relax and Enjoy the Skellig Coast
Our Driver Guided tours are available all year round and can tour in all kinds of typical Irish weather. You will be driven in comfort removing the stress of driving these narrow, twisting and unfamiliar Irish country roads. Our tours are designed for small intimate groups of 2 to 8 people.
- What to expect
Muiris provides a range of tours that suit a variety of interests. See the world famous Skellig Rock; have the craic learning to pull your own pint of Guinness at the same tap Stars Wars own Mark Hamill (AKA Luke Sky Walker) pulled his Pint of Guinness; hear the fascinating stories behind each of our carefully chosen sites and taste the delicious Skellig chocolates at the Skellig Chocolate Factory; and
The selection of 4 Tours available with Iveragh Historical Tours . . . .
Each of the 4 tours last 3 to 4 hours. Free pick up available from Waterville, Portmagee, Valentia, Caherciveen and Ballinskelligs.
To Book – Phone 00 353 87 9921284 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Skellig Wars Tour
- For lovers of Star Wars, this is a light hearted tour that gives you the perfect blend of breath taking views of Skellig Micheal, having the craic learning to pull your own pint of Guinness and tasting delicious chocolate at the famous Skellig Chocolate Factory.
- We will visit beautiful Valentia Island where the Star Wars Crew set up their filming base over looking the Skellig Rock. On Valentia Island we call to the fascinating 385 million year old Tetrapod Tracks and then Foilhamerum Bay, the landing site of the worlds first Transatlantic Telegraph Cable. Discover how Valentia was the starting point of the original World Wide Web at the cutting edge of telecommunication technology.
- After crossing the bridge from Valentia into the picturesque village of Portmagee, we stop off at the Moorings Pub where you get the rare chance to go behind the bar and pull your own pint of Guinness at the same tap Mark Hamill (AKA Luke Sky Walker) pulled a pint of Guinness during his time here filming ‘The Force Awakens’.
- Leaving Portmagee we continue on the Skellig Ring drive and visit the magnificent Kerry Cliffs where you can get stunning views of the Skellig Rock, look back into Valentia Island and take in the vast open wilderness of the Skellig Coast.
- On our way to the Skellig Chocolate Factory we drive over the mountains through Coom an Easpaig into the Glen to St. Finians Bay. Stopping at the top at Coom an Easpaig you get another opportunity to enjoy even more amazing views. From Coom An Easpaig you will truly feel on top of the world.
- Our final stop is the Skellig Chocolate Factory where you can taste the delicious chocolate while looking out on to the Skellig Rock and take stock of the stories you have heard and the scenery you have seen.
- The icing on the cake however is the banter and the craic you will have with your local guide Muiris Walsh who is a true native of South Kerry – there is no doubt you will have plenty of your own stories to tell after this tour.
Skellig Wars Tour – €35 per Person (Minimum 2 persons, Max 8 persons)
The Valentia Island Skellig Coast Tour – Tetrapods to Telegraphs
- In the entertaining company of your local Driver Guide, Muiris Walsh, take an unforgettable journey through time calling at
- the 385 million year old Tetrapod Tracks
- Valentia Slate Quarry and hear about the Knights of Kerry,
- Early Christian Site home to a rare Ogham Stone at Kildreenagh, Valentia
- 4,000 year old stone Wedge tomb
- The landing site of the first Transatlantic Telegraph Cable at Foilhamerum bay – where the original World Wide Web of modern communication began.
- For lovers of Star Wars, Muiris can show you where the Star Wars Film Crew base was located on Valentia Island and where Mark Hamill AKA Luke Sky Walker pulled his own pint of Guinness in the Mooring Pub in Portmagee.
Valentia Island Skellig Coast Tour – Tetrapods to Telegraphs. Tour charge is €30 per person (Minimum 2 persons, Max 8 Persons)
Vikings, Monks and Chieftans Tours
- After a short boat ride through the beautiful Valentia Harbour we land on the now uninhabited island of Beginnis to visit and explore the remains of the Vikings house and Beginnis Island.
- On return to shore we move on to the impressive 10th Century stone ring forts of Cahergal and Lacanabuaile and also Ballycarbery Castle which are located over the water from Caherciveen town – the centre of power of the South Kerry Chieftain.
- Your local guide, Muiris Walsh, will bring these fascinating sites to life and bring you in touch with the lives of the Vikings, the ruling Clann and the Monks who served them on Church Island.
- You will be impressed by the rugged beauty of Beginnis Island surrounded by the grand sweeping mountainous terrain overlooking Valentia Harbour and you will enjoy the fascinating stories of the Vikings, Monks and Chieftains who lived here – our own South Kerrys own Game of Thrones.
€60 per Person (Minimum 2 persons, Max 8 persons)
Skellig Coast Stories told in Stone
With your local Driver Guide Muiris Walsh you will be guided to the best sites on and off the beaten track, calling at….
- The mystical Eightercua Standing Stone alignment in Waterville
- Medieval Stone Ring Fort at Loher outside Waterville
- 385 million year old Tetrapod Tracks set in stone on Valentia Island
- Valentia Island Early Christian Site and rare Ogham Stone. The Ogham Stone displays the long lost form of Irish writing called Ogham script.
- 4,000 year old Wedge Tomb on Valentia Island.
€30 per Person (Minimum 2 persons, Max 8 persons)